Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Shake it off

Last weekend, I was out of state attending a friend's baby shower and thus missed church. I'm gonna keep it 100 and say that the reprieve was totally welcomed. I didn't open my emails and only checked social media at the end of the day. I dared someone to call me wanting anything this weekend. I said to myself, in the words of my father, "Don't callllll my name!" He would always say this if we asked him to do too many things. When I was young, I thought my dad never got tired.

As a mother, wife, professional, youth leader, and the head P&W leader, I now understand what my dad a bit better. I get tired. A lot! Often I don't even know I'm tired until it's time to do something and I'm aggravated by the task. I bet many of you are in the same predicament. You work, sit on other auxiliaries, have social lives, have families to tend to, mentor kids, blog, are in school, participate in extracurricular activities, cook, exercise, attend Bible class, etc. And I bet that many of us have asked God to help us get it all done. Well, not that God needs my help, but I think I will offer it anyway. Something is getting the axe! I don't want to be spread thin. I don't want to loathe the things that I volunteered to do. I don't want to be a piss poor leader. I want to be intentional, fresh, and in a good mood as much as possible.

A weekend away can help us to reset and realize just how much we've been running around. We must recognize we have limits and if we are to be good P&W leaders, we must shed some of the things that are distracting us from doing so. So in the words of Mariah Carrie and more recently Taylor Swift "Shake it off!"

No comments:

Post a Comment