Thursday, June 25, 2015

Going Hillsong


Image result for turn a no into a yes

Since my post about the Hillsong movie seems to be pretty popular, I thought maybe I'd do a little series related to the Hillsong phenomenon.

To be honest, I know the name Hillsong, I know a little about the churches, and that the worship band is extremely popular, but I couldn't name one of their songs. Nonetheless, I'm very excited about their upcoming movie Let Hope Rise because I think its wonderful that a documentary about a worship team with a great message is going mainstream.

Surely, Hillsong has been mainstream for years and I have been a bit oblivious to it. I decided to listen to some of their songs just because I should, as a worship leader.

Their vibe is reminiscent to Coldplay. It sounds like liquid gold. It's contemporary, but not especially trendy. It's lyric-forward. It's worship-forward. It's rock-star-like without the rock-star showiness. It seems sincere and humble. I kinda love them.

Even though I love what I've heard, it's hard for me to picture my uber urban congregation embracing the songs wholeheartedly without force-feeding it. Our congregation, when they listen to Christian music at large, primarily listens to gospel. But maybe this is just my brain going straight to all the reasons why something won't work.

Yes, that's exactly what just happened!

I think what I'll do is find a song that I think will work and give it a try. I'll update you guys later in the year on this.

Blessings!

P.S. Before anyone thinks or says it, I'd just like to add that there are a lot of people who attend small churches, living in their own niche who are not up on a lot of music in the Christian genre. Conversely, there are a lot of people who attend large/popular churches, living in their own niche who are not up on Gospel music. It's all love! We are one!

No comments:

Post a Comment