Wednesday, July 6, 2016

It drives me crazy when...


Image result for not today

I was reading a gospel artist's post on Instagram and got irritated. (One reason why I'm not on FB - more dummies sharing their dumb posts.) It drives me crazy when people think that there's only one "sound of heaven" and that songs that sound more secular aren't God-given. Please get off of your soap box!

People said the same thing when BeBe and CeCe Winans got big. "You can't tell if they're singing about God or a relationship between a couple." They said the same thing about Kirk Franklin and God's Property. They said the same thing about Mary Mary. However, when people who don't have a big name in the industry put out their music somehow "it's not the sound."

Us church people really rip into others far too much, particularly black church people.

I may not know everything about worship, but I know that this "sound" is not this big deal in other cultures. And it's not even about a "sound" per se, it's people's opinions about what is and is not acceptable as praise or worship. All throughout Africa, people dance regularly at the drop of a hat - even to praise music. Hillsong Young & Free sounds so of the moment, if you weren't listening to the words you think it was the next pop artist on the radio. And I personally loved 5 Seconds by Canton Jones. I was two-stepping to that joint until they stopped playing it!

Look people, let's stop talking about the "sound of heaven" as if we've been there! Yes, there are songs that are anointed, but our God is bigger than our sphere of thinking. I think that as long as the message is right, the genre/artist/expression is not as important.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment