Sunday, August 3, 2014

It starts with the leader

For the second week in a row, it was just my dad and I leading praise and worship. When you've got a small team, you really feel it when someone is not able to attend. But what can you do?


What I think I know about worship is that as a leader, sometimes you've got to lead many and sometimes you won't have hardly anyone to lead. Both come with their specific challenges. When you're leading many people, there are more ideas to consider, attitudes to adjust, situations and excuses to excuse or reprove and therefore you've got to work hard to get everyone on one accord. The good part is that when one person is missing, it's not as big of a deal and when everyone is on the same page, the results are glorious. On the other hand, a small team leaves you with the problems I'm currently experiencing. In either scenario, the leader's role remains the same.

Whether you have a team of none or 20, the ministry of praise and worship starts with the leader. It starts in our prayer lives and in our individual worship, long before the Sunday service. The music, the other voices, even the audience's participation all emanate from the leader's vision and command of the spirit.

Like my mom (the pastor) says, sometimes you've got to be a committee of one. Hopefully she did not mean this literally because if I lose anyone else on my team, I'll be flying solo.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment