Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What I learned about P&W while attending a funeral

I love to sit back and learn in all types of scenarios and last night was no different. I attended a homegoing service for a friend's husband and it was the most beautiful service I've been to. I won't go into all the lovely things that were said since this is a praise and worship blog, but suffice it to say that I hope to be half of what he was and an ounce of the wife my friend was to him. Now, on to the music.

The P&W team consisted of about 10 people. They sang one worship song that I didn't know, For Every Mountain, Order My Steps, and then during the procession they sang Lift Him Up by Byron Cage. They sounded very good. I love a choir or praise team where no one is screaming or where it sounds like they're trying real hard to hit the notes. I liked the song selections too. I also liked that they didn't drag the songs out with an extended reprise. You know black churches can take a 4 minute song and turn it into 10 easily! The timing of everything was just right.

Music is such a big part of the church experience and at a funeral or homegoing service, it really helps to set the tone of the service. People's hearts are more tender during this time so it's important that the music is moving and authentic. You want people to feel uplifted, comforted, and you want to usher in God's love.

On my out the door, one of my coworkers noted that she thought the music was excellent. This is what you want to hear as a P&W leader. Well done Covenant Faith Church of God Praise Team!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment