Thursday, January 22, 2015

Music Review: Help by Erica Campbell

This is the album cover
Yes, I'm late to the party, as usual. But that won't stop me from giving my review of Erica Campbell's first solo album Help, which dropped in March 2014.

First off, let me say that I generally like Mary Mary. I think both Erica and Tina can sang. Like put the stank on it sing. Like slap your momma sing. So needless to say Erica sounds great and the music is good too. I would describe the overall sound as pop with a gospel flair. (No shade intended. I LOVE popular music!) I also love that she didn't have a lot of guest artists on the album. If I wanted to hear a guest, I'd buy their music. (Now that's shade.) I also like the photos of Erica inside the cover. She looks beautiful and graceful.

I'm not going to comment on every song because besides the single "A Little More Jesus," I only really like tracks 10-13. The other songs are bad. They're just not something I'd find myself listening to much. However, I REALLY like the last four tracks. "More Than a Lover" has a Michael Jackson vibe going on. It's upbeat and musical and fun. Love, love, love! "Nobody else" is upbeat too, but it's more reminiscent of a late 70/80's sound. "All I Need is You" is just a real song with real lyrics. It's about recovering from hurt and finding what you've been lacking in Jesus. It's a ballad and nicely done. Very simple, but powerful. "Changes" is the last song and I like that she ended the album with it. It's a great reminder that things change and that's OK because God is in control anyway. A very pretty song.

Of the 13 songs, I'm digging 5. This isn't to say this a bad album at all. The first few songs aren't exactly my cup of tea. While I personally wouldn't buy it, I can definitely see why others would. If you like Mary Mary and you like new school and good singing, support Erica on this project.

Blessings



No comments:

Post a Comment