Thursday, June 27, 2013

Chicago Gospelfest

This past weekend was Gospelfest in Chicago. I haven't been in at least 15 years and wasn't going to go this year, but a friend asked if I was going to go and I just grabbed my sister, who is also on our praise team, and went. Here are some of my thoughts on the experience.

Worship is beautiful - Now you may think, "yes, worship is beautiful. I know this." But when you're looking at hundreds of people worshiping God through song, you get a whole new perspective. I was sitting about midpoint in the audience. Hundreds in front and hundreds in back of me. Very different than being at my church of about 30 people who tend to look at me for entertainment. At Gospelfest, we were all in a park and all you could see were hands raised in the air. Black hands, a few white hands, young people, elderly people, hip-hop looking people, and everything in between. Love, love, love it!

Tracks are better than nothing - I always complain about hot difficult it is to lead P&W w/out a live musician, however Tamela Mann sang her set to a track. If she can do it, I suppose I can too. This subject is something I'm sure I'll revisit on many forthcoming posts.

There are some songs that everybody, I mean ERYBODY knows. You can't go wrong opening up a praise set with This is the Day (the old school version - not Fred Hammond's rendition.) I try to make our first song one that everyone enjoys and that helps set the tone. With that in mind, let me ask you guys - what praise/worship songs are oldies but goodies for you? Comment back and let's start a dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment