Monday, June 10, 2013

Distractions

My weakness as a P&W leader is my lack of leadership skills. I know. That's an oxymoron. I don't ad lib well and it's hard to transition from song to song when you're only singing to accompaniment tracks. So this Sunday, inspired by Tasha Cobbs, I attempted to lead a bit more. Of course when you have a goal in mind, things start to pop up.

First, my DJ was late so I had to delegate that task to someone else. Right before church started, my DJ came. I knot you think - that's great. But it's just a distraction to me.

Then, I couldn't find my offering envelope that I made out. The envelope doubles as the list of songs with the page numbers that I use during P&W. I scrambled to find it to no avail, which left me a little flustered. Distraction #2.

Then about mid-way through P&W my eyes became cloudy. I'd like to say that God was revealing something deep and powerful to me. I think He was telling me to throw out those old, dry contact lenses before they disintegrate into my eyes. Distraction #3.

Finally there was one big distraction that really takes the cake. The deadpan congregation. Was it me or did my attempt to be more leader-y go unnoticed? Did they just tune me out as I said "sing from your heart" and "sing it out now?" Great. Tahsa Cobbs I am not. Maybe it was a little dead because attendance was low. Listen, warm weather is not an excuse to stay home or hang out in the streets instead of going to church.

It seems that when you have a goal in sight, the devil will try to stomp it dead before it takes root. He's only doing his job. My job as the P&W leader is to give it another try next Sunday. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment