Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Relax, relate, release (in my Whitley Gilbert voice)



Image result for relaxing images
I'm at a point in my life where I have a lot of issues going on and often find that I'm looking for small ways to escape. You know how we do - treating ourselves to small treats to try to unwind. (e.g., coffee, shopping, chocolate, vacations, mani/pedis, the list goes on.)

I've been telling myself that I need to be more active so I started going for walks recently. This was going to be some much needed "me time." Time where I could listen to the music I wanted and walk to whatever destination fancied my interest (as opposed to the park when my toddler and I are walking). I set out early this morning before work and turned my Pandora station to Beyonce radio. I was gonna listen to some upbeat, mindless music to keep my tempo up.

I was halfway into the first Bey song and I wasn't feeling it. Maybe it was too early for all of that mess. Enter Tasha Cobbs's station. Immediately I felt more relaxed. Then I thought about the scripture that I posted to IG Psalm 5:3 "... in the morning shalt thou hear my voice..." so I started singing along with the songs that were playing. 2 of them I didn't know, but caught on to fairly easily. Let's just say that the good thing about walking at 5 am is that there aren't many people outside to hear your raspy morning voice.

Then to confirm that I needed that moment of time in worship, my morning devotional talked about how society's way of refueling is different that how Jesus refueled. (Read the devotional Unshakable Mom Day 2 here.)

If you are like me alone time is a rarity and you might find yourself filling that space up by catching up on a TV series you've neglected, reading a book or magazine, or taking a nap. But when life seems especially hectic choosing to lean into worship, prayer, and connecting with God is always the right way to escape.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment